Whether you’re looking for a clean plant based protein powder to help you recover from your workouts or a way bump up the nutrition of your morning smoothie bowl, the crew over at Vivo Life have an entire line of raw plant-based, organic vegan options for you. Today I’ll be reviewing Vivo Life PERFORM raw plant protein and BCAA powder. If you want to try this product, you can use this code http://vivolifeusa.refr.cc/trevorw for 10% your first order.
According to the National Institutes of Health, the supplement industry is a $37 billion-a-year business in the U.S. alone, and is expected to grow to $270 billion by 2024. What’s more is the supplement industry is largely unregulated and there are many potentially dangerous products out on the market. With all the different protein powders on the market today, it is hard to choose which one to use or if you should even be using any. If you are currently supplementing your diet with protein powder then you probably have heard about the recently published study which tested several protein powders for over 130 toxins including heavy metals, BPA, pesticides, and other contaminants with links to cancer and other health conditions. The findings revealed arsenic, lead, cadmium, mercury and BPA in many popular brands. Even worse, plant-based powders had the some of the highest amounts of heavy metals with USDA “certified organic” powders having up to twice as much as their non-organic counterparts.
This is why it is even more important to scrutinize the supplements you take and the companies that produce them.
Vivo Life is a UK-based vegan company committed to bringing you the highest quality plant-based products without any added fillers or artificial sweeteners, binders, flavors, and colors; just pure raw organic healthy whole foods. They have Madagascar Vanilla, Raw Cacao, Salted Maca Caramel and the Acai & Blueberry flavors but for this review I tried both the Salted Maca Caramel flavor and the Acai & Blueberry flavor of the PERFORM protein powder. Let’s get into the review:
- At 25g of protein and roughly 120 calories per serving, depending on the flavor you choose, this protein powder falls right in line with most other products on the market.
- Since Vivo Life uses a mix of pea and hemp protein, you are getting all the amino acids you need as well as added leucine, isoleucine, and valine, making this a complete protein with a little extra umph!
- It also contains other superfoods like turmeric and beetroot powder, and acai berries for an added immune boost as well as antioxidants which help reduce inflammation and free radicals in the body.
- The ingredients are fermented and combined with digestive enzymes to help the body quickly absorb the nutrients. I never have stomach issues after consuming.
- When added with fresh or frozen fruit in a shake or smoothie bowl, Acai & Blueberry flavor is pretty tasty.
- They give back. Part of every Vivo Life purchase you make goes toward charity.
- Ethically sourced and sustainable.
- Tested for heavy metals and harmful chemicals and is non GMO.
- Money-back guarantee. The customer service at Vivo Life is second-to-none.
After trying the Salted Maca Caramel, I left a review on their site about my disappointment. I wasn’t expecting anything in return and chalked it up to a loss. I was so surprised when Federica, the “Happiness Engineer” at Vivo Life (customer service rep.) apologized for my disappointment and offered suggestions for me to make it better and also offered to send me a new flavor for free. Fed was so helpful and responded to several of my emails within one day. I really felt like a valued customer and that my feedback and satisfaction was important to them.
- Texture. This stuff doesn’t mix the greatest. This isn’t a powder that you can just mix with water and shake up and guzzle down. Well…you could but you might choke. Definitely need to use a blender.
- Taste. I first tried the Salted Maca Caramel and was very disappointed. The taste and smell were slightly nauseating. I’ve tried lots of protein in the past and have had several that I had to return or throw out because they tasted so bad. The Salted Maca Caramel is nearly the worst I’ve ever had. I tried blending it with almond milk, different frozen fruit, adding dates to sweeten it, etc. Nothing could fix the awful taste of that flavor.
- Price. At $60 for 26 servings, this protein is on the higher end of the spectrum. They do offer a subscription though which gives you a 12.5% discount and you can set it to monthly, bi-monthly, however frequent you want.
- It also comes from the UK, so if you’re in the US it will take a little longer to get your protein. But if you have the subscription you can have it automatically sent to your door so you have a new bag of protein before you run out.
This protein powder is definitely worth a try. There are not a lot of great plant-based protein powders out there that are safe and affordable. If you use a discount code and you subscribe (discounts do stack) then you can actually get a bag for pretty cheap. All the ingredients are high quality, vegan, and organic. You know you are getting a healthy product.
I wish they offered a sampler pack to try the various flavors they have but if you try it and don’t like it they will send you a new flavor for free. Additionally, they have maca, matcha, and superfood supplements that you can choose too if you want.
The taste of this protein will take some getting used. I think that I’m used to all the ‘junk’ fillers and preservatives in powders I’ve used in the past, but if you blend it up with fruit or peanut butter and the like you can create a very tasty and nutritious smoothie bowl. My favorite recipe is to blend the Acai & Blueberry flavor with some frozen berries, a banana, couple of dates, some spinach, flax and chia seeds, and some unsweetened almond milk. Crank your blinder on high until smooth and delicious. Top with shaved coconut and a small spoon of peanut butter.
Let me know in the comments if you guys use any protein powder? If so, what kind? I don’t eat it every day but it’s a nice way to get some extra nutrients in the morning and a fast way to bulk up breakfast if I’m in a hurry.
Use this discount code for 10% your first order http://vivolifeusa.refr.cc/trevorw
Let me know if you try Vivo Life for yourself and thanks for reading!